Every day of life is an adventure. Especially in Mexico City!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Going to Work

Hey, I'm still alive! Our internet at home has been broken for a few weeks now, which is why I haven't posted anything or done much emailing at all. We're supposed to get a new modem installed this week (actually, it was supposed to be installed two days ago), but it's D.F., and there are no guarantees. The last few weeks have been busy with work, and next week is going to be even more full. I'm really happy in my job, though. I work in three locations around the city, depending on the day. Most often, I work in Polanco--a wealthy business district. Other days I go and do an on-site company class at a company that makes appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washers, etc.), located in what I call "The Skyscraper District." On Tuesday and Thursdays, I work in another branch of our offices near the metro station "Nativitas." The office is very nice, but the area is not particularly beautiful. On Thursdays, I work in all three locations--it's a lot of commuting!

I really enjoy when I work in Polanco, because I can walk to work from my apartment. It takes about 45 minutes each way. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I walk to and from Polanco twice each day. I leave from my apartment and start walking through my neighborhood: Escandon. It's busy but quiet, nice and safe. It's neither a business district nor a residential district, it's more of a mix of the two on a small scale. There are lots of trees and flowering bushes on the sides of the street :)
Flowering tree
Soon, my neighborhood ends, just as I pass a pretty park called Parque Mexico. It turns into Condesa--a really pretty district with lots of cute restaurants, cafes, and bars. It's a very popular nightlife area, and it's always bustling and loud when I'm walking home at night. After I walk through Condesa, I come to a street called Sonora, which has a mix of small businesses and apartment buildings. On this street, I'll see my "20 minutes from work" landmark: the big, glass IXE tower.


Almost there!
On the left side of the IXE tower, I pass some sort of monument, but it's not a particularly impressive one. To me, it just looks like a really tall, bleached wafer cookie.

Giant cookie!
Right after I walk between the monument and the IXE building, I take the Chapultepec underpass, and then immediately after climb up onto a bridge that passes over 3 major highways.

Ah, don't breathe in the car fumes...
About 15 minutes from there, I get into the prettier part of Polanco, and arrive to the office!


One of the rooms where I teach :)
In the mornings, I teach there for 90 minutes, and in the evenings, I teach two back-to-back classes, leaving me there for a cozy three hours. It's really a fun job!

That's all for today, time to go teach again...



No comments:

Post a Comment