Every day of life is an adventure. Especially in Mexico City!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

DF's Historic Center (Part 2)

Happy December 1st! Even though I've been in Mexico for the past 13 months, it still amazes me that I can walk around in a t-shirt and jeans, and still feel warm in December! Today I went walking in DF's historic center yet again, even though Sunday is the worst day to go, crowd-wise. Unfortunately, three of the places I wanted to visit were closed! Two were churches (churches closed on Sunday...wait, what?), and another was a government building that is filled with Diego Rivera murals. Sigh. Maybe another day. But, today was not a loss! Here's what I did get to see today.

I started off by walking past the Hemiciclo a Juarez, a monument to one of Mexico's favorite presidents.
More of Hemiciclo a Juarez
I worked up the courage to get near the giant spider/nope/nope
combination statue. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME, DF?
Christmas decorations up in the Zocalo!
Another picture of the Metropolitan Cathedral... 
The giant Christmas tree is up in the Zocalo!
On the plus side of visiting the historic center on a weekend, you can always find a performance.
The Santa Catarina church. Old, crumbling, and has stuff growing out of it...and not open to visitors today.
Last stop: the Capilla de la Conchita 10. Why 10? Not a clue. I'm aware of two Conchitas located here in DF.
Aaaaand, that was all that I saw today! I'm hoping to make it back to the historic center next week to see the Diego Rivera murals, and maybe a few of the many museums there. So, maybe in the near future, there will be a "DF's Historic Center, Part 3"...maybe. I've got a few more places on my list that I'm hoping to get to before I visit Iowa for Christmas, so there could be another post or two up sometime in the next 10 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment